Saturday, May 18, 2013

Emperical/Schmempirical!!


Included below is a summary of the definition of empirical (research) from  Thesarus.com.  and the ever famous Wikipedia   (in other words, don't take my summary for it, do your own research :)  )

Empirical is an adjective meaning that something is observable or may be experienced.  This is a practical method of research, as in the evidence or research is based on factual and observable (practical) results which are documented and either support or decry the original claim.  Data are collected, they should support the theory or question which should be clearly defined and answerable with data pertaining to the theory.  The Empirical method is one part of the Scientific method for proving or disproving any number of theories our learned minds come up with.

Why I am blathering on about this?  As you will note from the above photo....my flexible, digital thermometer has been molested!  No worries, it still works!!  I use this thermometer to test the water temp before I get in the tub.  My temperature sensors are all off and I generally end up either scalding or freezing myself in the tub.  Enter the thermometer.....I digress.....


Our dear son, "DS", decided that he wanted to use our jacuzzi tub.  No problem,a little teenage body can get achy too.  We caved like wet paper towels and gave him the green light.  We went up later to take a bath.  I noticed my thermometer looked odd.  I inquired after its health.  DS denied any knowledge of the thermometer, then feigned shock at the sight of it.  He went so far as to say "It looks like someone chewed it!  After a few more days of raised eyebrow interrogation and some water-boarding  he finally fessed up to chewing on it.  His "theory" that he "proved" through "empirical research" was that......"there is nothing inside the bendy tip"  I informed him that the information needed to go from the metal tip to a micro processor and thermistor inside the thermomer.  (Actually I forgot the words thermistor and microprocessor and said it something along the lines of)  "Are you insane?  Of course there is a strip or small cable relaying the temp to the circuitry"  his answer "Nope I chewed it really well, there's nothing in there!"

I' told DS that when the thermometer breathes it's last (yeah I know it can't breathe) that we will gently slice open the flexy tip to see the inner workings.....

Stand in awe of the next generation of empirical research  "I chewed it really well, Mom!!"




1 comment:

E. M. Prokop said...

Haha! Kids eh? I remember my years of stuff like that. One time my boys went up on the roof of the house and lit their homemade "fireworks"....the reason I found out? They took pictures of themselves up there doing it...this was back in the days when film had to be developed...who in their wildest dreams they thought was taking the film in and picking up the pictures, I have no idea! The little buggers denied everything until I presented them with the photographic evidence....kids...hope you're feeling well these days, not too hot, cold or itchy! lol! Take care.