Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Getting ready for bed

Green pajamas and crickets, summer air, it all seems so near.  It's so far away and so many years in the past.  I remember my Grandma reading me stories and tucking me in we said our prayers together.
Getting ready for bed seemed so special back then.  It meant matching pajama tops and bottoms, hair tied in soft yarn pigtails after my hair was brushed.  It meant getting in between the soft cotton sheets, they always smelled clean.  They had a flower pattern always.  On rare occasions I got to use my Grandma's gold satin sheets from the 1950's or 60's.  They were old, rich and so much more real than the ones today.  I will never forget that feeling.  She always sat in the old cane bottom chair next to my bed. She read me stories by Thornton W Burgess.

The bed was always comfortable, the pillows somehow soft.

I look back now and see a wonderland of sights, sounds and  a world where I never knew what I didn't have, but only what I did have.

I bought a pair of green pajamas, I brushed my hair, I got between clean sheets and read, I even said my prayers....but the magic is gone.  She was the magic, childhood was the magic.  It will never be as exciting as it was, or smell like it did, or feel or taste the way it did...but it isn't supposed to.  Life goes on....Thank God, or whomever you believe in.

No comments: