Wednesday, March 7, 2012

You once thought of me as a white light up a tree....

Those were some of my first loudly sung misheard lyrics.  I proudly and loudly skipped my way home from high school in the mid-late 80's singing Monkees songs.  I had the same routine, old tv shows and a bowl of Kix. 
Everything could be solved with friendships and songs.  Harmless capers were good, dancing was imperative yet fun.  Little did I know that just a few blocks away a dear friend was also "taking the last train to clarksville"  we could have joined forces to celebrate our secret obsessions. 
I had fantasies of Mickey Dolenz or, (*gasp* *perish*)Davy Jones whisking me away to some magical time and place.  I would have gladly shared them with her.  We could have become roommates and lived in sin with them.
When I heard the news that Davy Jones had died...my mind screamed 'No!'.  That means that everything in life is tenuous.  It means I'm not 16 anymore and that time waits for no one.  It means that one day all my teen heartthrobs will pass on.  It means that life is fleeting; we have to jump in with both feet, hold on with both hands and ride this baby to the end.
You once thought of me
As a white knight on a steed.
Now you know how happy I can be.
Oh, and our good times starts and end
Without dollar one to spend.
But how much, baby, do we really need.
Cheer up, Sleepy Jean.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen.
I'm still 16 with my bowl of Kix.....but now I watch my 13 year old and know his life is just beginning. 

No comments: