Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Florence and the Machine

I'm not exactly sure why I find her so exciting. I'm really not sure if It's the vocal play, the mix of instruments, or the irreverence.  She's bold and contradictory.  At any rate, all her songs seem to have a similar appeal.  I've been listening to a lot of music lately.  I've been on a Smith's, Cure, Depeche Mode, ABBA, ride.  American Pie is lurking in my mind as is more Smiths.  I Don't like Mondays is also a good song.....recently I read it was actually about a girl who went on a school shooting spree and when asked " why?" Responded with...."I don't like Mondays".   Odd, but I guess as good a reason as any to write a song.  It's so darn upbeat and catchy though.  I kind of feel bad for really liking it.  We all know we're supposed to feel sad with "Adam's Song" and feel down that Billy Joe McAllister jumped off the Tallahatchee bridge, or the Eleanor Rigby was lonely....but now I have to not like Mondays for a whole new reason....the song that made them better is also sad.  Perhaps I'll just stay in bed next Monday.

I have a major case of the blahs anyway.  :-)

As always...spelling...LOL.  

1 comment:

E. M. Prokop said...

hahahaha! I heard the same thing about 'Don't like Mondays'...it was Bob Geldof wasn't it? Boomtown Rats..I like them..it's a good song even if it does have a sad reason for being! The saddest song I ever heard was that Gilbert O'Sullivan song, 'Alone Again, Naturally'..do you remember that one? OMG..the guy threw himself off a bridge, or a tower or something..but he had to have lived cause he was singing about it! lol! Hope you feel better! :)